What is resin
Resin incense is incense in it's most natural form and is obtained from the sap of trees. Frankincense and Myrrh are two of the most well know resins and have been used for thousands of years.
How to burn resin
First of all you will need the following items to burn resin:
- Incense bowl/burner
- Charcoal tablets
- Heat resistant coaster
- Lighter or matches
- Fill your burner with a sufficient amount of sand (at least 2/3) in order to absorb most of the heat that would otherwise transfer to your burner. Sand is fundamental and if isn't used will cause the burner to become extremely hot and depending on the material may cause your burner to change colour or become permanently damaged. Other types of burners are available, for example burners with a metal mesh on the top. In this case no sand is needed and that step can be left out.
- Place your burner on a heat resistant coaster or surface and keep out of the reach of children and pets.
- With a pair of tongs hold the charcoal tablet and light it evenly for several seconds. You will notice that it will start giving away little sparkles. Keep holding it until it looks evenly lit.
- Place the charcoal tablet in the middle of the burner on the sand that you prepared previously.
- Allow the charcoal to continue burning until a thin layer of ash has formed evenly on the tablet.
- Using a metal spoon add a small amount of resin on the top of the charcoal tablet. It will immediately start to burn filling the room with your favourite aroma. More resin can be added once the previous has finished. The charcoal tablet will remain active for up to a couple of hours depending on the type of tablet/brand used.
Keep away from children and pets
Place the burner in a safe place on a heat resistant surface
Always use sand in the burner to absorb most of the heat (unless using a burner with a metal mesh)
Do not leave unattended
Leave a window open to permit air circulation
Do not move the burner or touch it while in use. If you have to move use extra precautions.
Charcoal tablets will remain hot for several hours, do not discard until you are 100% sure it is not still alight. For security you can place it under running water with a pair of tongs or simply discard it the next day.
Burning resin can be done safely if you know what you are doing and refer to the above safety guidelines.